Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In My Ears and In My Eyes

A poet at the first ever poetry slam I went to observed that although Starbucks is "evil" there is a bit of comfort in the fact that they are everywhere.  Even when you are far from home, you are sure to find a Starbucks.  Down the street from my apartment in Prague is a McDonald's.  It's so big and brash, and often quite crowded.  Though McDonald's leans toward "evil" there is something comforting about knowing that I can get the same meal down the block from my apartment in Prague that I can somewhere in New Orleans or New York.

My Czech roommate just cooed "Strawberry Fields Forever" as the song came on on her laptop.  The Beatles have the same affect as fast food restaurants, it seems.  Wherever you go, you can never be too far from someone who has at least five Beatles' songs committed to memory.  They are greatness accepted the world over.  I think I prefer the ubiquity of The Beatles over fast food restaurants, I must admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment