Sunday, April 17, 2011

You Should Know I'm Listening to Aaron Copland As I Write This

What I meant to mention in my previous post, before getting on a tangent, was that being here makes me appreciate America more.  On the surface, this sounds like a horrible insult to the Czech Republic.  I do not mean to degrade the Czech Republic in any way.  I absolutely love it here.  At the same time, I do not wish to claim some false Czech heritage.  I am so glad to be from America.  I love that one of the stereotypes of Americans is that we are happy and optimistic.  I love that America is largely inhabited by people who choose to live there.  I've heard Stephen Fry theorize that the fact that the residents of America are the descendants of those who chose to emigrate and leave their home country for a new life means that sort of bravely spirit remains in the American people.  I know I'm starting to sound all corny and like this is a big lead up to announce my candidacy for 2012, but taking a break from America is just what I needed to realize how great it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment